Aside from going to see A Mighty Wind
, here's some stuff that I did over the three-day weekend.
- I didn't do as much writing as I hoped, but I did quite a bit just the same. I just started a chapter in my crappy novel that I was dreading, but it's actually turned out to be pretty fun to write. Goodness knows if it will be fun to read.
- I went to Hala Kahiki with some friends, and because I am an oaf, I bumped our table when I got up to go to the bathroom and knocked over the delicious, potent girl-drinks we were having. Happily, however, they gave us new ones for free. Lesson: knock over drinks more often. Also, when I did go to the bathroom, a Polish guy with bleach-blond spiked hair a la Fred Willard in A Mighty Wind
was singing 'Smoke on the Water' to himself while he pissed. "DAH DAH DAH, DAH DAH DA-DAH!"
- Went to see an amazing concert late Friday: My Name is Rar-Rar, Caroliner and No Doctor. Spazzy free-jazz/noise-rock for everyone. Rar-Rar has incredible chops; I'm anxious to hear some new material -- and to get their album once it's released -- but it's still a joy to see them play. No Doctor was completely insane, in an enjoyable way, and I'd never heard Caroliner before but now I'm quite fond of them. Their tour diary
is a pretty fun read, too.
- I planned on getting together with another friend of mine, but I kept calling her phone number and got a message that her voice mail box was full. Hmph.
- Bought many, many funnybooks (damn, Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming...what are you fools up to?), a couple of actual books, and no CDs. Dispatched the Roommate to buy even MORE funnybooks for me last night, but the plan was aborted. I'm in what's known as a "manic phase" re: the funnybooks, or, as they call it in the biz, a "big fuckin' geek-out".
- For Easter, I bought thaitea
an English ivy plant and a peach pie. I also called a friend and wished her a happy birthday, and made an awesome Chinese pepper beef stir-fry. The White Sox lost to the hated Racist Cartoons, though, and Jesus didn't come back, so it was a mixed bag, as days go.
- Sunday morning, some shithead's piercingly loud car alarm went off at 6:45AM and didn't stop until 11:30AM. And yet, if I had gone and smashed his car to pieces with a red sledgehammer, I would have gone to jail. That's capitalism for you.