BOSTON RED SOX: THE CASE FOR
1. They are the AL team, and I almost always root for the AL team, even when this means rooting for the hated Yankees.
2. They beat the hated Yankees.
3. I like a couple of the Red Sox players.
4. I have nothing in particular against the Red Sox.
5. Some of my friends are big Red Sox fans.
BOSTON RED SOX: THE CASE AGAINST
1. While they are less horrid than the horrid Yankees, they are still an East Coast team that gets way too much media attention.
2. If they win, the Red Sox fans in the media will never shut up about the glorious victory, and if they lose, the Red Sox fans in the media will never shut up about the terrible curse.
3. I fucking hate all that bullshit about the curse.
4. A lot of Red Sox fans seem to have a sense of arrogant entitlement and altogether too much ownership of their suckiness, a la Cubs fans, and I hate the Cubs worse than anything; it discomforts me to think about rooting for the AL version of the Cubs.
5. I don't really give a shit about the Red Sox.
HOUSTON ASTROS: THE CASE FOR
1. They're the biggest underdogs of the postseason to date.
2. I have nothing in particular against the Astros, and I even kinda like them.
3. They have a long history of futility like the White Sox, but they don't fetishize it like the Cubs or the Red Sox.
4. They had those awesome rainbow unis back in the '70s, and they were originally named after a gun.
5. Some of my friends are big Astros fans.
HOUSTON ASTROS: THE CASE AGAINST
1. They are an NL team.
2. I don't particularly like the city of Houston.
3. George W. Bush and his father are rooting for them.
4. I don't like their home ballpark.
5. I don't really give a shit about the Astros.
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS: THE CASE FOR
1. I think they may be the best team in the playoffs right now.
2. I have nothing in particular against the Cardinals.
3. They are the rivals of the hated Cubs and it will annoy Cubs fans if they win the World Series.
4. You could consider them a "local" team if you stretch the definition of "local" to its breaking point.
5. Some of my friends are big Cardinals fans.
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS: THE CASE AGAINST
1. They are an NL team.
2. They seem sorta dull and uninspiring; I neither like them nor dislike them, much like the Anaheim Angels of 2002.
3. If I root for them and they win, I will feel guilty about not supporting the AL, just as I did in 2003 and 2001.
4. A Cardinals World Series win just means an extension of Nelly's career.
5. I don't really give a shit about the Cardinals.
WHAT TO DO.