Well, suffer no longer, my darlings. Here are five small entries for the price of one.
1. I think Redman is sort of underrated as a rapper. He's put out a handful of really solid solo albums, and is a great guest star, and yet he's really never gotten the props of guys who are much less talented. I realize this is an unpopular opinion, but I have never courted popularity.
2. Speaking of the hip to the hop, I haven't heard the new Roots album yet -- I have curiously ambivalent feelings about them -- but I just read an interview with them in THE SOURCE, the magazine so important it's capitalized. The most interesting thing about the article wasn't that it didn't mention Benzino even once, but that, well, everyone in the Roots seems to hate what they're doing except ?uestlove. They interviewed all of them, and there was this underlying curdled resentment, a feeling that there should be more airplay, more commercial stuff, less of the experimental joints like "Water". Scratch even came right out and said "fuck all this organic jazz shit" or something along those lines. Even Black Thought, who's the biggest ?uestlove loyalist, didn't have much to say about their direction. ?uest himself, of course, was oblivious. I dunno. I have a feeling we should enjoy them while we can, because I think they're going to self-destruct in about half a minute.
3. The other night, I was bored, I couldn't write, I couldn't sleep, and I was in a shitty mood because of all these things, so I got drunk, by myself. I started out by just pouring a Scotch and water to get the taste of the evening news out of my mouth, and I ended up drinking vodka straight from the bottle. I haven't done a boredom-and-frustration drunk in quite a long time. It's like a grudge fuck: nice to know you can have one once in a while, but not really anything out of which you should make a habit.
4. Speaking of writing, I did a bunch of it last night, finishing most of the current chapter of my shitty novel. I have no idea if it's any good or not, this chapter: the first re-read, it seemed horrible, but the second time through, after a little tightening, it didn't seem so bad. At any rate, here's a piece of advice for nothing: writing a fight scene totally fucking sucks.
5. I have about no money this weekend, but I'm still gonna see a movie, and I have been promised soup. The promise of soup fills me with joy. I'm easy to please.