First lines of books:
1. From Death Ship by B. Traven. Not surprised no one got this, but it’s a cracking good read.
2. From Season of Migration to the North by Tayeb Salih. Another tough one, but a great book.
3. From Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. I’m a bit surprised nobody got this – surely SOME of the lit-nerds on my friends list recognized it.
4. From The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson. Classic noir as black as my heart.
5. From V. by Thomas Pynchon, who you KNEW I was gonna get in here somehow. This was guessed by datlowen, thehighhat and aberranteyes.
6. From At Swim-Two-Birds by Flann O'Brien. No one got this; I'm with Dylan Thomas, who called it probably the greatest book no one's ever read.
7. From The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. The most recent book I've read that I'd consider a classic. Guessed by rollick, second-hand.
8. From the underrated Brighton Rock by Graham Greene. Guessed by susano.
9. From Lanark by Alasdair Gray. His reimagining of an urban hell is an amazing work.
10. From JR by William Gaddis. Legit one of my favorite books of all time. Guessed by <"lj user="calamityjon">.
11. From Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert. Guessed by never_fear.
12. From As I Lay Dying by Big Bill Faulkner, and another of my very favorite books. Thought someone would get this; ah well.
13. From Lord of the Flies by William Golding. Required reading in a lot of high schools, but better-written and more morally complex than such implies. Guessed by aberranteyes, never_fear, and slammerkinbabe.
14. From Auto-da-Fe by Elias Canetti. I'm not surprised no one got this because apparently no one on earth but me has read it.
15. From Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe. I'm shocked none of you nerds recognized this one.
16. From The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler.
17. From The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks. Another one I'm surprised was not picked out quickly by my friends-list geek contingent.
18. From The Intuitionist by Colson Whitehead. Guessed by susano and thehighhat.
19. From Dhalgren by Samuel Delany. No, it's supposed to look like that, and yes, it's both a great sci-fi novel and one of the best works of literary fiction I've ever read. Guessed by aberranteyes.
20. From American Tabloid by James Ellroy. Our introduction to Pete Bondurant.
21. From The Wrestler's Cruel Study by Stephen Dobyns, a terrific book by an otherwise unremarkable author.
22. From White Noise by Don DeLillo. One of my very favorite books, a working text of literary postmodernism. Guessed by slammerkinbabe.
23. From The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. Another minor surprise no one got this, from a very funny lost masterpiece of Soviet Russia.
24. From Crash by J.G. Ballard. A bit of a giveaway, or maybe not. Guessed by uvula_fr_b4 and anayajay.
25. From Blood and Guts in High School by Kathy Acker. Guessed by aberranteyes who was right the first time.
(a) is from "Academy Fight Song" by Mission of Burma. Guessed by thehighhat.
(b) is from "Life During Wartime" by Talking Heads. Guessed by genericus.
(c) is from "Virginia Plain" by Roxy Music. Surprisingly, went unidentified.
(d) is from "Moscow Nights" by the Feelies. Probably a tad too obscure.
(e) is from "Johnny Hit and Run Paulene" by X. Guessed by genericus.
(f) is from "Fell in Love with a Girl" by the White Stripes. Shocked no one got this; it was a big hit.
(g) is from "Repo Man" by Iggy Pop. Guessed by calamityjon.
(h) is from "Tonight's the Night" by Neil Young. Guessed by genericus.
(i) is from "Basic Cable" by Aesop Rock. Unguessed despite some good efforts.
(j) is from "Pretty Vacant" by the Sex Pistols. Guessed by hoolifan.
(k) is from "N.I.B." by Black Sabbath. Guessed by genericus and secondperiod.
(l) is from "Everything in Its Right Place" by Radiohead. Unguessed; what, are you people too hip for Radiohead?
(m) is from "Nimrod's Son" by the Pixies. Guessed by neverfear and hoolifan.
(n) is from "Kotton Krown" by Sonic Youth, which I listened to in my head over and over this weekend with my girl. Then it came on my iPod on the way back from Golden Gate Park and everything was right.
(o) is from "Bring It On" by Organized Konfusion. Guessed by oilyrags.
(p) is from "Slow Death" by the Flamin' Groovies, the source of one of my nicknames.
(q) is from "7 and 7 Is" by Love. Guessed by thehighhat.
(r) is from "Scamp" by Freakwater. This one was way, way too obscure.
(s) is from "Two Week Vacation" by the Embarrassment, one of the best road songs of all time.
(t) is from "Reno Dakota" by Magnetic Fields. Guessed by susano.
(u) is from "A Prayer to God" by Shellac, a misanthropic masterpiece even by Steve Albini standards.
(v) is from "The Fat Lady of Limbourg" by Brian Eno. Slightly surprised no one got this.
(w) is from "Unfair" by Pavement. Guessed by thehighhat.
(x) is from "Whatever Happened to Pong?" by Frank Black. Guessed by hoolifan.
(y) is from "No Children" by the Mountain Goats. Guessed by tritium and secondperiod.