List seven of your favorite songs and then pick eight people to do the same:
- "Better Get Hit in Yo' Soul", Charles Mingus (jazz)
- "I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts", X (punk)
- "Allison Says", the Vulgar Boatmen (rock)
- "Black Metal", Venom (metal)
- "Love's Gonna Getcha (Material Love)", Boogie Down Productions (rap)
- "Get Along Home Cindy", Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys (country)
- "Le Sacre du Printemps. Part 2: The Exalted Sacrifice", Igor Stravinsky (classical)
I'm not pickin' nobody to do this because I have enough people who hate me. Feel free though.
If you're still of a musical mind (like the people reading this who can't get into the Spitgroove this morning...), here's a project you can help me with: I'm trying to put together a CD of "anti-spirituals" -- songs whose theme is atheism or the nonexistence of God. I'm not looking for songs about how God sucks and Satan is awesome; more songs that posit (a) the nonexistence of God or (b) the nondesirability of God existing. Also, please no suggestions of Joan Osbourne's "One of Us" or John Lennon's "Imagine", got those covered already, thanks a lot.
So here's what I came up with so far:
1. "God is an Atheist", Ill Bill
2. "Dear God", XTC
3. "The Virginian", Neko Case & Her Boyfriends
4. "God Isn't Real", Robbie Fulks
5. "Christianity is Stupid", Negativland
6. "Deus", the Sugarcubes
7. "God's Song (That's Why I Love Mankind)", Randy Newman
8. "Filler", Minor Threat
9. "Ye Sleeping Knights of Jesus", Robyn Hitchcock
So what else is there? What else should go on a CD of anti-religious songs?