- They let her pet a rat. Solution: tell her that rats are disease-ridden vermin.
- They told her that people cut down trees to build homes and stores. Solution: explain that they just plant more trees.
- They told her that when you cut down trees, the animals who live in the trees lose their homes. Solution: explain that the animals found new homes.
- They told her that oil spills drench birds with goo. Solution: explain that people clean up the birds.
- They told her that sometimes the oily birds die. Solution: explain that God wants us to have lots of oil, and he can make all the new birds he wants.
He goes on to note that if a nuclear plant blows up, the worst that could happen is a few casualties and some waste, while if the source of solar power blows up, everyone on earth dies. He might be trying for sarcasm here, but when you've got someone so flat-out reactionary against his daughter learning even the mildest lessons about how the ecology works, who can be sure?