See, I am a professional music writer. Also I have a lot of CDs. And I am a geek. So, you know. If you're going to make a post about how you tried to put together a playlist of pirate-related songs, there's just no...goddamn...way I'm not going to respond. I hate myself and feel dirty, plus why would Manning even care? He doesn't have any of these fucking songs!
This was surprisingly hard, especially since I set myself a few ground rules: First, the songs had to be about pirates, sailors, seafarers, or some kind of semi-disreputable persons who live near the sea. And it had to be ABOUT them, too, not just mention them in the title. (I made an exception for instrumental songs, or I'd have never made it.) Second, they had to have, musically speaking, kind of a piratey/nautical/chanteyish feel to them. Finally, no Pogues or Tom Waits, because that would be too easy.
Anyway, here's a CD worth. If you were Manning or Tami and wanted these, you could send me your address and I'd burn you the disc and mail it to you so you could hate it and laugh at me for being such a lame and then have sex and drink wine. I'm going to go cry now.
1. "Sea Interlude: Moonlight", Benjamin Britten (inst.)
2. "Sampans", Lalo Schifrin (inst.)
3. "Raiders", David Robideaux (inst.)
4. "Sawney Bean/Sawney's Death Dance", Snakefinger's Vestal Virgins
5. "Polly on the Shore", Robyn Hitchcock
6. "Sail Away", Randy Newman
7. "Barnacle Bill the Sailor", the Hoagy Carmichael Orchestra feat. Bix Biederbecke
8. "What Shall We Do with a Drunken Sailor?", the New Christy Minstrels*
9. "Man in a Hat", the Klezmatics
10. "The Pirates", the Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra
11. "The Adventures of Pee Pee the Sailor", the Bad Livers
12. "The Mariner's Revenge Song", the Decemberists
13. "Atlantis", Donovan*
14. "Her Father Was a Sailor", the Ass Ponys
15. "Blackbeard", the Flat Duo Jets
16. "She Floated Away", Husker Du
17. "Fisherman Thugs", Barry Black
18. "Chumming the Ocean", the Archers of Loaf
19. "Blueberry Boat", the Fiery Furnaces
20. "Piracy Funds Terrorism", M.I.A. & Diplo feat. Cutty Ranks
*: Hey, fuck you.