- Mercifully brief but enjoyable Thanksgiving meal with my mom, aunt, and cousins. I was instructed to bring a green salad, which is the only thing I make that my family does not consider too ‘exotic’. Deciding to be a smart-ass, I included some duck-breast prosciutto and Salers cheese, which were devoured by my 12-year-old cousin but ignored by everyone else. Missed the old days of the Expatriate Thanksgiving.
- Finished off all of my laundry, completely cleaned my apartment, and donated some extra junk to the local Goodwill. The place is so different when it’s clean and organized that I almost forget that I have an inconsiderate asshole neighbor who keeps me awake every goddamn night.
- Got a rather crazy amount of writing done, which made me feel better about being a deranged alcoholic hermit. No announcements yet, but 2009 is gonna be a good year for my particular brand of scribbling, I think.
- Shored up details for my Christmas trip back to the AZ, and shuffled around some plans for further voyages next year: NYC for the first time, Paris for sure (maybe with some side trips while I’m in Europe), and at least one long road trip. This is in addition to whatever trips I take for freelance work, and contingent on my not getting laid off and losing the fat vacation package we get here.
- Talked to a few friends via various electronic means, made plans to do some radio shows this week, and generally didn’t feel as lonesome as I often do down here in South Texas. Still, I missed those of y'all that I missed.
- Treated myself to lunch at a great Mexican joint down the street, and then later had lunch at this alleged Chicago-style pizza place on the Austin Highway, which ended up being less of a treat than a punishment.
- Saw many, many movies, both for my own amusement and for reasons of professional obligation, including Two Lane Blacktop, Stroszek, Bob le Flambeur, The Lower Depths, Burn After Reading, and Revolutionary Road.
And what did you do, my pretties?