I am a long-established character in a superhero comic. Recently, I have begun to suspect that I am being drawn by someone under the sway of Japanese manga. How can I be sure?
To determine once and for all if you have fallen under the influence of the most formalist cultural aesthetic since the dawn of the Mad Lib, take this simple quiz.
1. Despite putatively being a grown adult, have I recently begun to look like I am no older than 16?
2. Is my waist depicted as being only a few centimeters thicker than my bicep?
3. Instead of a nose, do I now have a scribbled placeholder that resembles a disassembled wire coathanger?
4. Does my mouth, when open, occupy more than 75% of the surface area of my head?
5. Have I recently begun to express my emotions through hugely oversold facial expressions, gurning, and histrionic body movements that make me seem like I am in a really bad community theatre?
6. Does my hair jut out at strange angles and generally appear as if it is capable of putting someone's eye out?
If you can answer "yes" to more than 3 of these questions, you have likely come under the spell of an American artist who is influenced by manga style. The next question is, what can you do about it?
I recommend suicide.